The Celebrating Excellence evening that took place on Thursday 31st August, and was yet again was a huge success with students showcasing a diverse range of projects. Fifty two Academic Excellence Extension Program (AEEP) students exhibited the project they have been working on throughout the last fifteen weeks. Students have worked either individually or collaboratively with their peers on a project of their choice. During this time, students researched their topic, planned and designed their project, carried it out, made required adjustments, reported on their findings and presented their final product in various different ways. Some students have submitted their project to the Tim Winton Short Story competition.
At Corpus Christi College we seek to meet the diverse learning needs of all our students. The College Academic Excellence Program aims to:
- Empower students to strive for excellence and achieve at their true potential.
- Maximise the potential of all students, converting their gifts into talents.
- Provide students with a positive environment as a result of being involved in unique opportunities.
- Train gifted and talented students to ensure correct attitudes and approaches to learning are nurtured and developed.
- Identify and support underachieving students as well as maintain academically able students, motivated.
- Ensure that selected students excel at the attributes identified in the Corpus Christi College Learner Profile.
This year, we were again fortunate to have six Murdoch University Student Ambassadors as mentors for six of the student projects. At the start of the program, students in Years 9 and 10 were able to nominate themselves to work with a Murdoch Student Ambassador. Each ambassador met with their student or group of students weekly or fortnightly at the College either before school or after school. Having had a student ambassador as a mentor not only provided students with the guidance and support they needed but they challenged student thinking, helped them to overcome hurdles and gave them access to Murdoch University resources. I would like to acknowledge the work of Ms Becca Pink and Mr Jason Dohle for coordinating the program and to all the student ambassadors for providing our students with the required support.
The projects were judged in three categories: The Arts, Science and Technology. The categories were judged based on: Creativity and Innovation, Technical skill and Academic Excellence. For each category one first place or excellence award was awarded and 2 or 3 merit awards for the runners up were also awarded. In addition, there was a People’s Choice Award and a Prestigious Corpus Christi College Learner Profile Award for the student who displayed the most Learner Profile attributes. (see results table below).
All students are to be congratulated for all their commitment to the Academic Excellence Extension Program for producing project of utmost high quality displaying excellence.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the people who have helped make this program a success or helped out during the Celebrating Excellence evening. (Listed below)
Joseph Damiano, Mia Chan and Joshua Kang for their ‘Genetic Prosthetic’.
Corpus Christi Learner Profile
Excellence: Abbey Janssen for her animation ‘R u ok?’
Merit: Kathryn Tan and Victoria Ann Chong for their Music of the ‘Psalm of David’
Merit Kalea Gowland for her monologue 'Fire the boys' by Gabriel Davis from the book 'Hello, Goodbye, Peace'.
Excellence: Ella Waddy for her project ‘Flight Through The Ages’
Merit: Shannon Rees and Sophia Connolly for their website ‘Our World of Sciences’
Merit: Joseph Damiano, Mia Chan and Joshua Kang for their ‘Genetic Prosthetic’.
Excellence: Max Coten for his ‘3D Printed Robotic Arm’
Merit: Brett Nigli for for his ‘Quadcopter Build and Design’
Merit: Leah and Adriana Romeo for their ‘Click or NOT to Click’ the Cyber Awareness of Corpus
Merit: Marcus Oudin for his his game “The World of Code’
- Grounds staff - Mr Chris Carbone and maintenance staff for all the setting up and clean up.
- Cafeteria staff - for all the wonderful catering.
- Mrs Karen Rourke, Mrs Claudia Laboudeuse, Mr Johnny Ho and Mr Daniel Budd - for working with the students through the Academic Excellence Extension Program.
- Claudia Laboudeuse for helping with the Celebrating Excellence evening
- Joshua Kang, Joseph Damiano and Mia Chan for being excellent presenters and hosts.
- Tiana Inman for all the video footage and photos taken
- Mr Evan Georgopoulos and the ICT department in general for making all the technology, sound etc work
- Mr David Harries and the Year 12 ATAR student musicians, Dominic Davis, Nicholas Ng and Kalea Gowland for their wonderful performances
- Student helpers who assisted with the set-up and serving of food on the day.
- Mr Marcus Passauer for all the PR and work behind the scenes
- Guest Judges - Mrs Jody Rubery, Mr Doug Loader and Mr Lincoln Morton for accepting the invitation to judge our diverse projects.
- Guest Speaker - Bruce Gardiner for his interesting speech.
- Celeste Marinovich and Rosita Chan (parent helpers) who helped out at the Celebrating Excellence evening.
- All students for being part of the Academic Excellence extension program at Corpus and for once again creating work of high standards and excellence.
- Mrs Prendergast, Mr Italiano and all the leadership team for embracing the vision.